How to File a Complaint Against a Dentist
As a component of the New York State Dental Association, the Second District Dental Society participates in the NYSDA Peer Review and Quality Assurance Program.
Peer Review provides a confidential, impartial and timely way to resolve complaints about the appropriateness and quality of dental treatment provided by member dentists. Participation in this alternative dispute resolution process is a membership requirement.
Peer Review resolves patient complaints confidentially. Neither the process nor its outcome is reported to any outside agency – or the public. Peer Reviews are resolved by a committee of impartial professional peers. Peer Review resolutions are final. Peer Review findings have been upheld by the court, providing the doctor with immunity from subsequent litigation.
A Guide to Peer Review outlines the process a Peer Review case undergoes on its way to resolution.
Peer Review provides:
- An alternative to resolve complaints about dental treatment
- An objective evaluation of treatment by a committee of impartial professional peers
- A refund of fees to the patient when treatment is not consistent with the standard of care
To be eligible for Peer Review:
- Treatment must be provided by a SDDS member dentist
- Treatment must have been completed within 2 ½ years prior to submission of the Agreement to Submit to Peer Review
- Dispute cannot have been submitted to or resolved by an alternative mechanism; i.e., collection action, legal proceeding, OPD, etc
To file a complaint, please call the Second District Dental Society at 718-522-3939.